*(Not affiliated with the Boston Bruins or the New England Hockey Journal)

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tyler Seguin weighs in on Ryan Murphy, Stefan Noesen

I had a chance to chat Boston Bruins rookie Tyler Seguin up about the OHL the other day when he was in Washington, D.C. with his team. He's been trying to keep tabs on his former league and some of his friends from the Plymouth Whalers. Here's what Seguin had to say:

On Kitchener Rangers defenseman Ryan Murphy:

"I only saw him play a couple of times (last year) and he was injured one time we played against (the Rangers) but I thought he was a great player. He's with my agency and we went golfing this summer, actually-- it was the first time I met him. He's a good kid and its nice that he's got that full package of being a good guy off the ice and also a great player."

I asked him if Murphy's size would hold him back at the next level, and this was Seguin's response:

"In this day and age I don't think so. I mean, you look at my guy right here (puts arm around Brad Marchand in stall next to his and laughs) and he's a little guy, but he definitely works his hardest, stays focused and got two points the other night.

On keeping tabs with his old teammates with the Whalers:

"I've talked to some guys-- I have a couple of close buddies (still on the team) and I've talked to the head coach (Mike Vellucci). Everyone seems to be doing OK back there."

On Whalers 2011 draft prospect Stefan Noesen:

"Noesen stepped it up; I saw he's leading the team in points which-- I'm not going to say it surprised me or anything-- but he's worked hard. Not bad for a Texas kid."

(Author's note- Seguin was just echoing I comment I made reference Noesen-- he wasn't being snarky about Noesen hailing from the Lone Star State)

No comments:

Post a Comment